1 cup millet grains
1 cup yellow mung
1 medium onion
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup peas
1 cup roasted peanuts
1 tsp each of ginger, garlic and chilli paste
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
4 dried whole red chillis
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp salt or to taste
Juice of one lemon
- Soak the millet and mung separately in water for 2 hrs, drain and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan, add the asafoetida.
- Then add the dried chillis and cumin seeds.
- Cut the onion into chunks and add to the pan.
- Saute for a minute.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, and chili pastes and cook.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and add to the pan.
- Then all the spices go in.
- Cook for a minute and add the peas, followed by the millets and mung dal.
- Add the roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and lower the heat.
- Put the lid on and simmer for 10 mins on medium heat, till all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the lemon juice and garnish with coriander.
Your healthy and nutritious khichdi is ready to eat. Enjoy it with lauki (bottle gourd) raita or boondi